Thursday, May 17, 2012

Do you have a Backup Plan?


Good morning from the Jumpseat……The sun is shining down on another great day, happy to be a firefighter in America.  This day is starting interesting for me to say the least.  We purchased new IPhone 4S last week and in the process lost 3 pages of notes from it.  So, for the last week I have searched for ways to recover my lost work.  Then this morning I found it, BAM!  During this process my mind kept wondering, what is our back up plan if we had an emergency during a structural firefight?

How often have you grabbed your SCBA, hose, flashlight, and headed into the pits of Hell ready to combat the dragon? Can you ever remember a time when you thought to yourself “what if I had a SCBA emergency right now”. If you’re like me it doesn’t happen very often because we have a job to do!  Do you have a backup plan and how many ways can you prepare before the alarm sounds? Let’s look at a couple of quick tips.

Tip 1 is to be familiar with EVERY piece of PPE that you have, from your hood to you face piece it all should be familiar to you even in the most extreme conditions.  If you’re not familiar with it before you have an emergency how do you expect to manage it when it does happen? You should take time practicing equipment malfunctions  before the call comes in.  Practice your hood on wrong, radio strap on wrong side, pack straps not let out all the way, and practice them slowly then add in game speed as you become faster.

Tip 2: Don't mask up until it's time.  I have seen many firefighters putting on their face piece before they even get off the truck.  How are you going to get an exact view of the structure as you arrive to find exits, entries, fire, and smoke conditions? Just because we ride in the jumpseat don’t mean that we can’t size up the building and be #jumpseatready.  It is our jobs to remain a reliable worker when things are at their worst.   You should practice managing emergencies in the comfort of your station before you’re faced with a life or death situation!

In closing I would like to remind you that you always need a backup plan.  It’s hard to imagine taking a lesson in firefighting from my phone, but hey, it is 2012.  I will remember to back up my data from now on and it’s your job to have a backup plan on your next fire!



Thanks for the stop in the jumpseat…..train hard….stay safe…



Bunker up, Buckle in, it’s where we ALL begin!!!

3 comments:

Robby O said...

Good points to ponder however I always mask up in the truck. I can see fine in my mask, and in my opinion it makes me more jumps eat ready, as I am not wasting time finishing getting ready in the yard.

In my opinion with time to flashover and lightweight construction we have to have the situational awareness of seasoned fireman, but the speed and efficiency of NASCAR pit crews. One way we can do this is to come off the rig ready to work.

Again good points to ponder and great discussion points.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more on the ppe familiarization. The fire service is getting younger and younger, the building materials are more dangerous (flammable and toxic) and we are getting more complacent, a true recipe for disaster when things go bad.

As far as the scba face pice, I would have to agree with the previous poster. I could see this aspect if you were the captain but when a ff comes off the engine u need to b ready to go to work. With the new face pieces we have today the field of view is great.

Ryan Pennington said...

Great feedback from both of you. I can see your point of coming of the truck #jumpseat ready! And you do have a increased field of vision with today's facepieces. I will revisit this real soon. Thank you for the comments. Keep them coming in!